Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Neighborly Advice!


Dear David,
I am not gay but I have a question. I live next door to a male couple with a child in Denver. This kind of a conservative neighborhood and everyone is very nice to them but we're not really mingling. I think I should lead the way in being neighborly but I am a single man in his early forties and I have to admit I don't want the neighbors to think I am gay if I start socializing with these guys. Am I chicken? Help!
~The Neighbor

Dear Neighbor,
You can be a friendly neighbor without being Jim Nabors. This is the 21st century. I keep repeating being gay is like being Swedish. A little different but in no important way. More important is to make your community into a community. Be friendly, be helpful, invite them to dinner but invite the other neighbors at the same time, espcially the ones who also have kids. Have a big cookout in the backyard and invite everyone. You should lead the way. And finally - you want to be nice to the neighbors, but do not be concerned with that they think!

No comments:

Post a Comment