Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gay actors staying in the closet

Dear David,
What's your feeling about gay actors staying in the closet and even getting married to women?
~Disappointed

Dear Disappointed,
I always quote Mae West's mother, when Mae didn't want to take a movie role because she didn't like it. Her mother said, "Oh Mae, don't be selfish. Think of your career." Exactly. Movie actors are very unlikely to love anyone because they are thinking of their career. Coming out means their career is pretty well over. The American public isn't ready for it. And I have to admit, even when I see Jody Foster playing a romantic lead I can't help but think, "Oh, come on. Really?" No, I think you have to accept if they are going to play hunky, sexy males they have to stay in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment