Monday, May 9, 2011

Frisky But Risky

Dear David,
I have a very successful career in New York. I am in my mid-forties. And I have decided that I am going to take a three month break and pay some attention to myself. However I risk damaging my public relations career, perhaps irrevocably. What do you think?
~Frisky but Risky

Dear Frisky but Risky,
Bravo. We all have our destinies. And this urge to stop and reconsider who you are and what you are doing with your life is being taken at exactly the right time. The world is changing so rapidly we must not base our futures on what is possible in the world today. In ten years you will be very different and so will the world so the time is ripe to rethink things.

I think you should think about where you would really like to live and don’t just limit yourself to the United States. Think about your private life. Whom do you want to love? And again, don’t limit yourself or be afraid of criticism. Conformity exists in the gay world too, and you can ignore this.

And work on your body and health. You are probably not halfway through your life. Keep your body strong and looking good. You will need it later. At the end of your three months be brave. And if you feel you want to do something different, go for it. I have had six careers and at no point did I ever like my life more than I do right now.
~David

(typographic world map by vladstudio)

No comments:

Post a Comment