Monday, March 14, 2011

How to Be Gay in the 21st Century


I'm starting a blog. Now that I've seen it all I want to become the "Dear Abby" of the gay world. We are in a new century and a lot of the way the gay community saw itself and interacted with each other has changed enormously.

Someone asked a friend of mine "When did David come out?" and he said, "I don't think David was ever in." Which is true. When I was young we didn't even have the word "gay." There was "sissy" and "fruit" but even "faggot" and "queer" didn't exist yet. In my lifetime the world has kind of awakened to the fact that some men and women prefer their own sex.

Dr. Kinsey did his research in the 1950's and discovered that 37% of American men have had sex with another man as an adult. That's alot and everyone has chosen to pretty much ignore that information since.

And here we are in a new century where being gay is going to be a lot like being Swedish. A little different but not much and who cares?

So check in with me tomorrow and we'll deal with "How do I tell my Mom and Dad?"

~ David Leddick

No comments:

Post a Comment